June 3, 2010

A Way to Think About it

Author's Note: I was watching a television show with my brother, and I sat down at the computer once the show was over and came up with this from the show. It really made me think about how it would change me and what the people on the show feel at the moment.

This is a very random piece about something that I noticed from a television show, but it really touched me. A little over a week ago, I watched the Biggest Loser finale. Surprisingly, it was a really touching thing to watch. It make me think about how I should be happy with my life, because the contestants on the show had a horrible life before they got a one in a million chance to change it.

Each of the contestants who got eliminated earlier in the game got a chance to come back and win the “Lose It at Home” prize money. When the people who lost the least percentage of weight went home, I thought to myself, Okay now how are they going to make the big change at home by themselves? Once I saw them at the finale, it really surprised me. Most people would have just gone back to their old lifestyles how they used to live at home, but they actually brought back home their newly-learned skills from the ranch and used it to help their whole entire family.

All of the contestants came back to the finale to strut their new styles and bodies. Even I could tell that every single person had changed and was ready to take on new challenges in life. The family that was living with them must have been really proud of them.

My personal favorite person that went home was O’Neal. When he first arrived at the ranch, he got eliminated in the first episode. Each person got a chance to come back for one final swing at the plate, and he definitely deserved it. With such a bad knee injury, he could barely walk up the stairs without falling over or needing assistance. By the time that he went home, by being on the ranch he had learned how to walk up a staircase and was in fact, very swift.

O’Neal was very heavy when he arrived on the first week. I think he might have even been like 384 pounds. At the finale, he looked so great and so much healthier. The rhythm in his step was completely astounding to me; I just could not believe that this was possible in him.

When each of the contestants got a chance to see how much weight they had lost overall, I was totally shocked to see how much different they looked and what they had accomplished – all on their own. Each person said the same exact thing for their speeches at the end – ‘I was just so lucky to be able to get a chance to change my life into something better. I am so proud of myself and hope that everybody else is happy with me too.’

I took those speeches into my perspective, and thought, What if I was one of those overweight people and I got this chance? How would that make me feel? I realized that night, Tuesday, May 26, 2010, that I actually have it good with my life compared to how they started. This situation really got to me deep inside, and I now know not to complain anymore about my problems.

8 comments:

  1. This was a very neat story Allison. It is something that inspired you so that makes it a very speacial piece. I thought it was fantastic.
    ---Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really touching story! I agree with everything that you said in that. I've never really thought about The Biggest Looser that way but it is a life changing moment for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was deep. My mom and I watch that show and you're right. It's like they are a totally different person. I like how you compared it to your life and got a morale lesson out of it. Fantastic piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a really cool way of thinking about it! Most people usually think that the Biggest Loser is just about a bunch of over-weight people doing different exercises and stuff like that, but you brought up a whole different way of looking at it. This was so touching and it shows just how lucky we are. Great job Ally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the best word to describe this is wow. The way you talked about it really makes the reader think about what they have done with there life and how they think that they should change it to make it more worth while and it allows them to see how lucky the actually are. You did and amazing job with the introduction and conclusion well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this, your voice and everything. You did a really good job of explaining everything. NICEEEEEE =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how you take something like a reality show and twist it into your personal thoughts. That was really touching and I love the voice and personality you put into this piece. It was very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a unique topic to write about, and I like your opinion on the show, and how you analyzed everthing. nice job

    ReplyDelete